Feline Medical Care Manager
Job descriptionJOB TITLE:
Medical Care Manager, Full TimeVISION: The Homeless Animal Rescue Team (HART) is a 501(c)(3) shelter for homeless cats and kittens located at 2638 Main Street, Cambria CA. HART’s objective is to find good homes for orphaned cats and kittens in our community through adoption services and by managing local colonies of feral cats through a trap/spay/neuter/release-and-maintain program.
You will be the leader of the medical team at HART. The team strives to provide our homeless cats with the best possible care. We aim to provide an optimal work environment benefitting our cats, staff, volunteers, and community.PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Manager is responsible for overseeing correct medical and health-related tasks to ensure the quality of life of animals on site at HART and with our fosters.QUALIFICATIONS:
You must be able to handle cats in a humane manner; be committed to animal welfare; have a minimum of two years’ experience working in an animal shelter or other pet-rescue operation or veterinary field; be able to identify signs of abnormal feline behavior, illness, disease and injury; have good organizational, self-motivational, and communications skills; be able to work well under pressure; be ready to cooperate with HART’s board of directors, HART’s other employees, volunteers, and colleagues from other similar organizations; have a “team-oriented” approach to your work ethic. Management experience and RVT licensure or equivalent veterinary experience are a plus.
Possess basic knowledge of cats: domestic breeds, behavior, appropriate care and housing, common health problems, disease symptoms and handling techniques.
Familiarity with Animal Shelter Manager (ASM) software desired but not required.SCHEDULE:
40 hours per week with flexibility in scheduling, overtime may be required depending on the current needs of the medical department. Scheduling will be discussed during interviews.RESPONSIBILITIES:Daily Medical Operations
- Ensure that medical treatments and needs of cats in the shelter (incl. fosters) are met
- Follow up on post-adoption medical and behavioral issues; communicate with adopters as necessary and coordinate care with medical team
- Input data into ASM and/or oversee assistants assigned to this task
- Schedule veterinary exams & surgery appointments
- Arrange for transport of cats to exam & surgery appointments
- Supervise medical team, including veterinary assistants and trained volunteers
- Train new volunteers as needed; determine their roles and responsibilities
- Coordinate with Shelter Manager to manage staff schedule
- In coordination with Shelter Manager, conduct interviews for open positions; make decisions for hiring and recommendations for separations
- Conduct disciplinary actions and performance evaluations for the medical staff and volunteers
- Oversee medical expenditures, assess adequacy of budget, and communicate status and needs efficiently to Board of Directors
- Assisted by Shelter Manager, ensure that animals are fed correctly and provided with clean, safe water and litterboxes by staff and volunteers
- Demonstrate proficient use of safety equipment for fractious or feral animals
- Administer vaccines and medications per DVM orders and Standard Shelter Medicine Protocols
- Determine the best location within the shelter for housing each animal and assess appropriateness regularly for animals’ well-being
- Oversee the introduction of new cats/kittens to each location in the shelter
- In accordance with Standard Shelter Medicine, County requirements and the general operating policies and procedures of HART, ensure that the shelter’s residential rooms and observation/isolation/intake exam areas are safe and sanitary
- Assisted by Shelter Manager, ensure that supplies and equipment needed for daily cleaning are stocked
Inventory and Budget
- Oversee/evaluate all intakes; assist with transport as needed
- Notify veterinarians of any abnormal behavior, illness, disease and/or injury
- Attend staff and monthly Board meetings
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Carry out other duties as reasonably assigned by HART’s Board of Directors
- Ensure that the Board is efficiently notified of urgent needs for supplies and maintenance
Timeliness and Teamwork
- In coordination with the medical staff, maintain proper supply inventory, storage, handling and documentation of all substances, supplies, and proper functioning of all equipment within the shelter.
- Report on general needs effectively to Board at monthly Board meetings
- Arrive on time and prepared for work
- Demonstrate a positive, team-oriented attitude and communicate in a respectful manner
- Participate in staff training exercises and annually review emergency procedures
- Share your expertise and experience collegially with staff and volunteers to promote optimal care of our animals
While performing the duties of this job, may be required to stand, move, and kneel or crouch. The employee is required to stand and sit frequently. The employee will also be required to bend neck and twist body. The employee will be required to consistently lift an animate or stationary object of up to 50 pounds. Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds for 100 feet; withstand long periods on your feet; bend, reach, stoop, lift and other moderately strenuous activities; appropriately and humanely restrain cats; work with a variety of cats; and use diverse cleaning agents.WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
Fast-paced work environment with possible exposure to infectious organisms, animal waste, chemical materials requiring OSHA Material Safety Data sheets and potential hostile persons and/or fractious animals. Potential for exposure to zoonotic diseases, dangerous and fractious animals, hazardous chemicals, and sharp objects.
This job description explains and outlines qualifications and requirements specific to this position. The job description may evolve over time with additions, deletions or further revisions as necessary. Your employment as Medical Department Manager or in any other position at Homeless Animal Rescue Team (HART) is at-will and is for no set term; either you or Homeless Animal Rescue Team may terminate the employment relationship at any time. By applying you indicate that you have a clear understanding of what is required, that you possess the necessary skills, that you have a commitment to follow through with the duties as outlined and that you are willing to accept changes to the job description as it evolves.Apply via Indeed or contact HART to submit your resume to HART’s Hiring Coordinator.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $20.00 per hourHART is an equal opportunity employer and strives to comply with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination in the workplace. HART is committed to providing a work environment free of sexual or any form of unlawful harassment or discrimination. HART policy prohibits unlawful discrimination, abridgment or harassment based on race, color, age (over 40), sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national social or ethnic origin, ancestry, citizenship, religion (including, but not limited to, all aspects of religious beliefs, observance or practice, religious dress and grooming practices), marital status, family or parental status, registered domestic partner status, civil union, military and veteran status, sex (including, but not limited to, pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding and related conditions), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local law, or, any other legally protected status. All such discrimination is unlawful and all persons involved in the operations of HART are prohibited from engaging in this type of conduct. It is our intention that all applicants be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions are based on job related factors. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. All such discrimination is unlawful. Equal employment opportunity will be extended to all persons in all aspects of the employer-employee relationship, including recruitment, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, compensation, benefits, leaves of absence, discipline, layoff, recall, termination and other terms and conditions of employment. This job description explains and outlines qualifications and requirements specific to this position. The job description may evolve over time with additions, deletions or further revisions as necessary. Your employment as Medical Department Manager or in any other position at Homeless Animal Rescue Team (HART) is at- will and is for no set term; either you or Homeless Animal Rescue Team may terminate the employment relationship at any time. By applying you indicate that you have a clear understanding of what is required, that you possess the necessary skills, that you have a commitment to follow through with the duties as outlined and that you are willing to accept changes to the job description as it evolves.
Sanitizing of frequently touched surfaces. Masks, gloves, and additional PPE provided as needed.